
I don't know when it started. I could say that it started 2 years ago, but I really haven't thought much about it since that time. I was supposed to be okay. I was supposed to go on with life with one less fallopian tube. Big f'in deal.
But here I am now. Standing at the start of what is going to be the longest and hardest journey of my life. Am I angry? Yes. Am I scared? Yes. Am I overwhelmed? Yes. But I can't do squat to change any of it. So I am ready to take the first step of this journey and I think that sharing it with you will help me as well.
I will find strength in God, in family, and in friends.
"Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." --Isaiah 41:10
****
My dad shared this email with me and I thought that it hit home.
A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as if as soon as one problem was solved a new one arose.
Her mother took her to the kitchen. The mother filled three pots with water. In the first, she placed carrots. In the second she placed eggs. And the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil without saying a word.
About twenty minutes later, she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.
Turning to her daughter, she said, "Tell me what you see."
"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied. (You known the tone of voice.)
She brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did, and noted that they felt soft. She then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg inside. Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.
The daughter then asked, "So, what's the point, mother?" (Remember the tone of voice.)
Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity - boiling water - but each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.
The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid center. But, after sitting through the boiling water, its insides had become hardened.
The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water...they had changed the water.
"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot , an egg, or a coffee bean?"
*****
Screw Cancer. I am the coffee bean and I am not going to let this change who I am.

5 comments:
Despite priding myself on always having too much to say (isn't that a nice way to put "I talk too much!") I know there are no words that can assuage your anger & hurt.
I do look forward to reading your blogs, helping to try to keep your spirits positive, and being here for whatever you might need!
GOOD LUCK, you guys are in our hearts, and let me know when you want to talk trashy tv or have lunch!
Sarah, Kevin and baby,
What a shock to hear of your news. Hard to imagine what God is grooming you for but it's something big. Life isn't always fair but I know you will fight this ugly disease and see baby Joanis become an adult and see all the wonders this beautiful child will bring to your life. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all and our love for you is abounding.
I love the coffee story, Sarah. and thats right- F' cancer. Don't worry about the swearing- we all talk like a bunch of long shoremen anyways- at least the Rohlf/Joanis girls do. Jenny's probably the best at it! You have such a good perspective and such a good mind I have no doubt that you are coming out of this with flying colors! Your dude's pretty cool, too. We cannot wait to meet the little lady and experience all the joy she is bringing with her!
Love you guys
em
Dear Sarah,
Your determination and spunk is admirable and I have no doubt that you will beat this. Your little girl is so lucky to have a mom and dad who will teach her to embrace every moment of life, count every blessing and to face each challenge head-on. YOU are a winner! We love you and will pray for you each day. Thanks for allowing us to share this journey with you through this blog.
Good luck tomorrow.
Hi Sarah!
Good luck today! Having your Mom there will help some.
Know that Dad and I are praying for you daily and will continue to do so.
I am a phone call away if you need anything
What a great idea this blog is!
Mom J
Post a Comment