Monday, August 3, 2009

No News Is Good News

Hi All-

So sorry that I haven't updated this in a while, but please know that no news is always good news! I have been so busy as I have gone back to work full time and am now chasing a toddler. It is hard to believe that a year has gone by and that I am in a completely different place than I was.

In May, my family and friends gathered downtown Chicago to participate in the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition Walk to Break The Silence. My team, Little Miracles, had an AWESOME turn out. 50 people came from ALL over the country to support me and we raised over $2500 for the cause. It was awesome and probably one of the biggest testaments to how much people care about me. My friends and family flew in from Florida, Texas, New York, Maine, Las Vegas, Indiana, Minnesota, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio. It was, awesome to say the least.

Photobucket

My hair just keeps growing....CURLY and THICK. When I was younger, I always wanted curly thick hair. The grass is always greener, right? I would kill to have my straight hair back. I am still adjusting to my new "style" and I keep telling myself every morning that it will get longer and it is better than being bald. That helps, but I can't help feeling a little down when I see a picture of me with my long straight hair.

This was at my brother's wedding in July:
Photobucket

I am working on getting comfortable in my own skin. Slowly but surely it is coming. I am working out 5x/week to get back to my old self. Losing weight is harding than ever now. I am guessing that it is because I am menopausal, but I don't know. My doctor says it will be a difficult road to lose the weight and I am prepared for the long journey. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I still go to the oncologist every month for an exam and bloodwork. So far, my CA-125 has been great. The highest it has been in the past few months has been 9. That is extremely low considering that I was in the hundreds before and some women that I have talked to are as high as 300.

There was some EXCITING news on the Ovarian Cancer research front. A nanotech gene worked as well as chemotherapy in killing cancer cells in lab rats without the terrible side effects that come along with chemo.

Read the story here

I met with some old friends from high school that I used to run track with and one of them is also dealing with Cancer (clear cell sarcoma). She is an amazing person and whenever I start to feel down, I think of how positive she is despite everything that she has been through and everything that she will endure, and my attitude turns right around. It is funny how you find strength and good energy from those around you.

I am going to be better about updating my blog.

1 comment:

Alyjens said...

I just read the article in the Tribune and checked out your blog. You are courageous and an inspiration. I am a breast cancer survivor (stage IIIA) and know how grueling chemo is. All through it I just kept thinking about all the younger women with children going through treatment and wondering how in the world they do it. I was lucky and had only myself and my wonderful husband to worry about and it was still hard. I wanted to address your hair dilemma. I always wanted curly hair, too, and was happy with mine. But never fear, it's about a year out of chemo and my hair has reverted to it's pre chemo condition in texture & color. Your straight hair is just waiting to happen! Keeping you in my prayers for continued good health. That is a beautiful daughter you have. She truely is a gift. Much love & hugs to you!