Today, my story was printed in the Chicago Tribune. I wanted to thank everyone for all of their love and support. It was definitely a battle that I could not have won without the constant and unwavering support of family and friends.
As I watch my little miracle eat her cheerios and drink her milk, I am reminded of all the hard choices that I made...and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
MY STORY
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
25 comments:
Sarah, my name is Brady and I just read the article about you in the Chicago Tribune. I have been feeling sorry for myself recently because of worries that are so much smaller than what you have to deal with. You are really inspirational - you remind me to live life to the fullest. I will be thinking about you and sending all my best thoughts your way.
I too read about you in the Tribune. You are so amazing and your blog is wonderful. I too send prayers and good thoughts your way. I just sent pink and white cupcakes to work with my husband. One of his favorite ladies in his office was just diagnosed with breast cancer and everyone is wearing pink. She is at work and is having surgery tomorrow.
Sarah you are AMAZING !! Love you and so honored to be your friend . xoxo
I read the article in the Tribune...I just wanted to pass along my good wishes & prayers for you & your family.
Emily
Sarah, I just read your story in the Tribune and unfortunately I can relate. I discovered I had a brain tumor in July 2008 when my daughter was 3 weeks old. I had a very successful surgery to remove the tumor and am now 1 year into my 14 month treatment of radiation and chemo. Most importantly I am currently cancer free! It's been a long year raising the baby (in addition to her two older sisters, one of whom has special needs) but I am so grateful to be here and try to enjoy every moment with my kids. My cancer is incurable, but my prognosis is great and I'm hopeful that I'll see my kids grow up without a reoccurance. You seem so positive despite all you've been through. I try to stay the same way. But as you know it can be exhausting trying to keep your spirits and energy up for your family when you're fighting to keep yourself afloat. I applaud your fight and will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy your daughter, she's adorable! And if you want to compare bald spots let me know! :) I lost my hair from radiation, not chemo so it's growing back at different rates in different spots depending on how much radiation I received in that spot. Good luck and God Bless.
Sarah, I read the Tribune article today and was incredibly inspired. I volunteer for a nonprofit that connects cancer survivors with yoga classes free-of-charge at local yoga studios. Our mission is to provide opportunities for wellness through yoga to cancer survivors who are looking to regain an active lifestyle after treatment. If you have any interest in yoga, please check out Yoga Bear at www.yogabear.org. We just launched a Chicago chapter. I am the PR volunteer (Yoga Bear is 100% volunteer) and live in Chicago. You can reach me at caitlin@yogabear.org. Thank you for sharing your story.
Sarah, I just read your story in the Tribune and I'm so impressed by your strength and courage. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer two years ago at age 35. Cancer forces you to make agonizing choices. You made the best choices for yourself and for your daughter. I wish you and your family good health and love and strength.
Love you Sarah. I am so honored to have been allowed a passenger spot with you on this journey. You inspire me daily. (((hugs)))
How on earth is it that I talk to you daily and never knew you had a blog?!?
As I have said before, but bears repeating a million times, your faith, strength and courage amaze me daily. You are a true inspiration. A wonderful mother, friend and person.
Love you, Sarah!!
I love you Sarah! You are an inspiration to me ever day! Hug that baby tight!! xoxoxo
You are a miracle and I wish you and your family nothing but the best. I went through a very similar scare. I went through infertility treatments to get my little man (I was told there was no way without IVF; IUI and clomid wound up doing the trick!) then only to be told at 10 weeks I could have breast cancer. I understand the pure joy and bliss of hearing "you're pregnant" only to be terrified of the "c word" come out of the doctor's mouth. I was lucky. No breast cancer; only incomplete records. However, I go back for a mammogram that was changed from 'screening' to 'diagnostic'. I'm scared all over. I can't leave my son so I hope for the best. I wish the same for you.
After reading about you in the Tribune, just wanted to extend my best wishes to you and your family. I have a newborn and can't imagine going through what you did. Be happy, healthy, and lucky (this is what we say in my culture).
Sarah, we came across your touching & inspirational story today as we were updating the Libby's H*O*P*E* (*Helping *Ovarian Cancer Survivors *Persevere Through *Education) weblog. Your story represents the ultimate in dogged perseverance & hope. Kevin & you provide inspiration and hope to the many women (and family members) who are battling this disease.
We just wanted to send our congrats on Natalie's arrival, and wish you nothing but the best for a happy & healthy future. Kevin, you & Natalie will always be in our thoughts & prayers.
Thank you for reminding us that miracles do indeed happen, and that the very best in life can be found in the smile of a newborn.
Best regards,
Paul, Founder, Libby's H*O*P*E*
Thank you for sharing your story in the Tribune and for sharing your ups and downs on this blog. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers!
Sarah, We read your article, together, it is such a beautiful and inspiring life that we are witnessing. I am humbled. Peace and love from all of us.
I'm a tv news producer many times hardened by reporting on awful stories. Today you really touched me, reminding me of what it means to be a mother, show courage and to never give up. Thank you for sharing your story. You will keep breathing! Your daughter and family are so blessed to have you.
Sarah, you and your family touch my heart every day, and I admire you in so many ways. You are one of the strongest, determined women I know (it will come in handy during the 'teen' years with Natalie). You, Kevin and Natalie are so special to me, and I hope one day to get Natalie and Kora Kate together to meet each other! You ARE an inspiration to so many people, and look at all the lives you've touched with your story!
Know you are loved in Kansas by many!! Hugs and blessings!
Hi Sarah, I saw the headline "Pregnant, with cancer: An agonizing decision" and for a split second thought "wow, that's me". I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when I was 28 and pregnant. At first the doctor thought I was having twins when measuring the size of my stomach. Double elation! Come to find out it was a tumor which had to be removed after my first trimester. Long story short, with the will to keep my baby I went on with the pregnancy. I am happy to say that I have a wonderful, healthy 23 year old. I never had any symptoms or family history of ovarian cancer so you could say my son saved my life and he has been my greatest joy. Cancer teaches us to live life to its fullest. My best thoughts to you and your family for a wonderful life together.
Hi Sarah
I just read your story in the Chicago Tribune. I am an ovarian cancer survivor from NJ diagnosed one month after my 50th birthday. Thank you for sharing your story so that others may see that OC affects all women young and old and in between. You are an inspiration to all.
I hope you don't mind but I added your blog to my blog
(womenofteal.blogspot.com)
May you ,Kevin and Natalie be blessed for may years to come.
Dee
Sarah, my name is Jay and I just read the article about you in the Tribune. I almost wanted to start crying. I want to say that I hope & pray you are okay, and continue to stay that way. One of my worst fears in life is to get cancer (since it seems like more & more people are getting it). I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been for you, and then especially to be pregnant at the same time. But you proved that the will to live is very strong. I hope you & your family have a long happy life together. God bless...
You're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updates as often as you can. Your baby is truly a miracle and I can't even begin to imagine all that you have been through. You're an inspiration! Keep the faith.
Sarah,
I read your article in the Tribune and was very touched by your story. I am guilty of feeling down over much smaller things. You inspire me to continue to be thankful for all that I have: my health, a healthy husband and children who are the light of my life.
I wish you and your family only the best and many happy days.
I found your through the Tribune article too. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma over 4 years ago when I was a few weeks pregnant with my daughter. Went through ABVD chemo when I was into my second trimester, because I could no longer breathe. I did 4 months of chemo before I delivered and another 2 months after my daughter was born(followed by rads). My daughter is a happy and healthy 4 year old now. We feel so lucky! I'm glad you shared your story with others. There are so many people out there that don't think it's possible to go through chemo when they are pregnant. My doctors told me I had to terminate my pregnancy. Lucy for me, I found the Pregnant with Cancer Network, that told me differently. I wish the best for you and your family!
Sarah, I found your story on line and am inspired and encouraged. We have the same hairdresser - :) I finished chemo in 1/09 and am finally starting to recognize myself in the mirror. I can relate to your varied feelings - gratitude, worry, joy, sadness, etc. It's a roller coaster for sure. May God bless you with a long and healthy life as you share life with your husband and beautiful baby.
Post a Comment