Thursday, July 24, 2008

For the Nerds and Some Updates

Round 2 of Chemo was yesterday. It went well other than the IV from hell. Apparently the chemo nurses are used to using the ports. I won't get my port until my surgery so finding a vein it was. It took 3 times to get it inserted and man did it HURT. And apparently, the only vein that the nurse could find was on top of my wrist. Pretty uncomfortable.



So, for the nerds out there (and my husband is definitely one of them), I thought that you might appreciate a picture of the molecular structure of the drugs that are going into my system and destroying the cancer cells. I haven't had chemistry since college, but these bad boys look pretty intense. They better do their job or I am going to have to write a nasty letter to the creators.

Here is the CarboPlatin:


Because of the Platinum in the drug, the atomic weight of this molecule is 371.25 g/mol. Ummmm, yeah, for those that don't get it...that's freakin' heavy for a molecule. But I am used to the Platinum. I have been wearing platinum around my finger ever since I was engaged. Maybe we are kindred spirits (if you can be kindred spirits with a metal).

Here is the Taxol:


Now this is a drug. This has 47 Carbon molecules, 51 Hydrogen, and 14 Oxygen. Throw in a Nitrogen and the atomic weight of this is 853.906 g/mol. Yeah...really heavy. How I am supposed to lose weight on chemo is beyond me.





--------

Okay...enough nerdy stuff. Let's get down to the nitty gritty important things. My wig. So I got it & I pretty much hate it. It needs to be fixed. I wore it to my baby shower and people were so nice, but I felt like it looked so fake. Here is a picture:



I know a lot of you are going to say that it looks great, but it needs a little more "styling". I am definitely getting it cut so it lays just at or below my shoulders, getting a nice side bang, and thinning the heck out of it because it is way too much hair for my tiny head. I do that next Monday so once I get a good shot of it, I will post again.

So far, I am feeling okay after this round. We will see in a few days.

"There is much in the world to make us afraid. There is much more in our faith to make us unafraid." -Frederick W. Cropp

8 comments:

Faye said...

I was digging the bald look. Thanks for posting the chemistry stuff for us nerds...

Unknown said...

Sarah, you are positively glowing! And not because of the chemistry going on - it is the pregnancy that makes you glow (with or without hair!). 12 days to Natalie!! I am SO excited for all of you - being a grandmother is unbelieveably wonderful!! You will be such a great mom, and Kevin a supurb dad! What a lucky child! As for the cancer, it will be but a mere blip on your screen. You are a CHAMPION!

Sending love from Kansas!! Kris

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah- um, those are some crazy fun facts. I think I'm gonna bug Kev and make him explain to me some more about the chemistry of your meds- in his magical chemistry lingo. Can't wait to see the new hair cut- do you have somebody that knows how to get the job done? I liked your wig but I also was liking the buzzed look on you, too! Your shower was super fun! Now its just time for that baby to get here!!

Unknown said...

Platinum in your blood??? Now that's what I call blingin'. Wait 'till the rap community hears about that one, it's guarenteed to be the next biggest thing on MTV.

Michelle Furlow said...

Just back into town so I'm only now catching up on all your posts - I think ANY new hair style can take some getting used to ... so I'll be really excited to see what styling you come up with.

I'm a history - social sciences nerd, so I tried my best to keep up, but what kind of nerd am I, I couldn't follow all the science!

But the hair styling, that I can follow! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I thought the wig looked great, but now I have seen your bald pictures and, oh my gosh, you look great! Your courage through this is amazing and inspiring.

Love, Diane

jenny said...

sarah that chemistry mumbo jumbo almost made my brain explode. thats ok though cause you looked totally fab at your shower and it was so nice to see you and your wonderful momma. i hope you are feeling good these days lovely lady and i cannot wait to see you on saturday!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I am a friend of Beth Coulton Smith's and over the years she has mentioned you and has shared with me your blog recently. I just wanted to let you know you are one of the most inspiring women, mothers and that you, your husband and precious Natalie will be in our daily prayers. Sophia in Ohio