- 1% of Women will be diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in their lifetime (National Cancer Institute)
- 3.4% of women diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer are under the age of 30 (yes, I am riding the hairy edge on that one, but go with it)(National Cancer Institute)
- <0.1%>
Any low statistical occurrance has happened to me. Go Figure...that is just my luck. I should have bought a lottery ticket until I read this...
- Approx. 2% of all cancer patients experience no side effects to chemotherapy (chemocare.com)
Yea...that is definitely not me. While I didn't feel the wrath of side effects that I expected, I was pretty miserable for the few days after my treatment. Here is what the nurse told me to expect:
- Extreme Fatigue
- Nausea
- Neuropathy (tingly hands and feet)
- Leg Cramps
- Constipation
- Hair Loss (in about 2-3 weeks)
I got them all. Mostly the fatigue. I still feel like I could sleep 14 hours/day and that would not be enough. I had one terrible night of nausea but with the Zofran the doctor prescribed, that was curbed pretty quick. I had about 3 days of tingly feet. It was tolerable, but very annoying. The only thing that seemed to help was walking and that made me more tired (a cruel irony). The leg cramps were minimal. It did feel like they were very "heavy" and at times I wanted Kevin to actually pull on my leg. I am not even going to go into the constipation. Being pregnant and constipated is bad enough...but combine the two and HOLY SHIT (yeah...I wish). Let me just say that you know it is bad when you start wishing for a good poop.
The hair loss hasn't started yet although I wake up in a panic every morning expecting to see a pile of my hair on my pillow. I am sure that will come. I know my dad is anticipating my hair loss so he can sprinkle my hair in his garden to keep the deer and rabbits out. Whatever works, Pop...I love you!
But I am going to get a wig. I struggled with that thought for a really long time. The idea of putting someone else's hair on my head sort of creeped me out, but then I thought of actually going out in public with no hair and all the sympathy stares that I would get. I don't care so much about the stares but the sympathy stares is what would kill me. I don't need people feeling sorry for me or thinking to themselves, "That poor girl".
So this week...WIG SHOPPING.
What do you guys think? Blond, red head, jet black? Long, short, bangs? This is my opportunity to do whatever I ever dreamed of with my hair, but never had the guts to do!
I am so blessed to have the love and support from my family. My mom has been amazing this past week and Kevin has really been beyond words. Not to mention the amazing emails of support and encouragement from others. Thank you and I love you all!
12 comments:
I vote for the blonde wig - and then maybe a jet black one too that you can wear every other day to keep people guessing.
Tingling toes, leg cramps, poop preoccupation, you are a busy girl. My vote is to sleep when you need to and as for the color of your hair- one of each would probably be the way I would go. My thoughts are with you . Jackie
sarah you would look so hot with a butt length platinum wig! you could pretty much pick any style or color and still look like a fox!
love ya lady,
jenny
I vote for a hot pink shoulder length wig. That way the comments you get won't be "that poor girl" it will be "what was she thinking?" That should be enough to make you laugh! You know you, Kevin and the baby are all in my thoughts and prayers. Cancer doesn't have a chance with your strength and all the support you have. Make sure you eat!
Laurie
Okay, here's something to consider... it's summer! And wigs are HOT! Have you considered an alternative, like a headwrap? I'm not talking about one of Punjab Turbins, but what about bucket hat, pageboy cap or scarf.
Just my $0.02.
I'm with Faye... How about a do-rag?
WOW!! You're one tough chic! The cancer doesn't doesn't have a chance! Dean and I have been praying unceasingly for you and your baby, as has everyone in our church. They ask aout you oftten. Dad and Sherrie told me about your blog today, so I will keep everone here up to date. That baby is blessed to have you as a mom. My vote for your hair is a redish brown like auburn. Keep on keepin on! Love Sandy
I vote for a wig in every color, style and length!
A cool head scarf would be great too!
Sleep as much as you want now, once Natalie is here sleeping will be a thing of the past for the next 20 or so years!
Just my thoughts
Mom J
Hello Sarah, only you will really appreciate this note, knowing how computer illeriate I am. I prey for you everyday and we will beat that F---ing cancer, no doubt. Can't wait to get your hair as the deer and the rabbits are in the garden.
Love you
Dad
Hey babe!
I am so proud of you and just wanted to comment on your blog to tell you so. You are so amazing, and I love you for ever and ever!
nice - I think Kevin loves you a really lot.....so do we, Jackie
Hi Sarah,
We never met, but I have heard wonderful things about you through Erin (we have been friends since kindergarten). Kevin sent me the link to your blog and I am honored to read about your experience and just wanted you to know that I think you are an amazingly strong person and I know you will beat this. After reading about the side effects of chemo that you are experiencing, I had to write to let you know that acupuncture may be able to help you. I am an acupuncturist in Seattle and my alma mater, Bastyr University, started a Doctorate program about 4 years ago specializing in oncology. Acupuncture is used to moderate the side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, fatigue, as well as keeping your immune system strong throughout your treatments so that you can continue to get the chemo you need and beat that cancer! Acupuncture is safe to have while pregnant by a well trained practitioner. I know of an MD (Charles Lo, MD) who has limited his practice to acupuncture in Oak Park and Chicago. Insurance may cover it because he is an MD. Let me know if you want any further info.
Best of luck!
Chrissie Kaiser
Post a Comment