After the article appeared in the Chicago Tribune and was later featured on AOL, the responses have been overwhelming. I have heard people tell me how courageous and brave I am and how Natalie and I are inspirations to many out there; that I have given people hope in a time when they thought it was lost, and that I have reminded them how blessed they really are.
I have been contacting by people all over the country and I am praying that my story reaches many who are looking for hope. I have had women share their stories with me about their struggles with cancer and men share their stories of sorrow on losing a wife, mother, and sister. One woman will be running in the Chicago Marathon in honor of me and other cancer patients.
My story sparked debate on National Healthcare & vaccinations and lots of negative things were said; including comments on how careless Kevin and I were to get pregnant because Natalie is not going to have a mother. These are the things that I just let roll off my shoulders because I cannot surround myself in negativity.
I never researched or paid attention to survival statistics when I was going through all of this. Mostly, because I didn't want to know but also because I just want to live my life without worrying about it. I can turn it into something positive...throughout this ordeal I have fallen into the minority. Only 1% of women get cancer while pregnant...I am in that 1%. Only 30% survive Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer...I will be in that 30%.
Thank you all for your kind comments, for sharing your stories, and for reading mine. My story is not close to being over. Natalie and I are destined for great things.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
The one commment that sent me realing was how getting you pregnant was going to bring back cancer. We were told that being pregnant and cancer reoccurance were two independent events. We were encouraged to get pregnant. This one jerk posts something that isn't true, and has no science behind it, and all of a sudden it's fact. Sorry babe, just had to vent a little :).
I'm here to tell you that attitude is everything...well, everything AFTER faith and hope and love. I am a writer and a researcher by nature, yet I elected not to research any of my cancers (I had three types and five primary cancers) or my mets to the lungs because one of the books I edited is about the mind/body connection. I knew if I saw the statistics, I would create them in my body. (Such a strong left brain!) I agree with your decision to forego the research/statistics. Those are just "facts," a summary of statistical populations. Hold on to the TRUTH of a loving, healing God who will be with you on this journey, a God who never fails, a God who listens to our prayers and knows our hearts' desires. Doing this allows you to live with faith and not fear, with gratitude and not victimhood.
I have believed I am healed since my journey began five and a half years ago, even though in all that time I was never without one form of cancer or another in my body. I just told myself to be patient while waiting for the physical manifestation of that healing.
Two weeks ago, my scans showed that for the first time in five and a half years, there is no evidence of any disease in my body. But, I know from experience that even if the scans hadn't shown that, believing is its own reward. I would still have had my faith. I would still have had my gratitude. I would still have looked for the good--and by that I mean the God--in every circumstance. Because I still would have believed.
This is your journey. Walk it in ways that edify your spirit and feed your soul. Never let anything or anyone rob you of your hope, your faith, your belief.
After all, you're in that 30%! And you know it.
Sue G
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sueguenther
Anytime your personal story is made public, people are going to say evil things. It's the nature of the Internet. I for one, was moved to tears by your story and find you and your family incredibly brave and inspiring. Ignore the haters they are looking for attention.
May you walk hand in hand with your dearest family until the end.
All the best to you ^^
ps: Little Natalie is so adorable
-Comet
I wish you the best of luck with everything.
My mom recently found out that her breast cancer is back in her bones (after 8 years of remission). It scares me, because I want my children to have as much time with their grandma as possible. It helps when I remind myself that the first time she had breast cancer, my children weren't even born yet. We're blessed that she had the opportunity to meet and get to know them at all after her first battle with cancer.
I'm trying to remember that every day my children have with my mom is a gift. I suspect you feel the same way about your days with Natalie. :)
P.S. I have a Natalie too - she turned 6 this weekend.
I just read about your story in the Detroit Free Press and am amazed, amazed by the fact that I'd never heard or read about pregnant women getting cancer until I was one of them.
The past 6 months of my life have been a whirlwind. In early February I was diagnosed with Stage 1 cervical cancer that appeared after I got pregnant as my PAP in August was clear. I went through 4 rounds of chemo and delivered a healthy baby girl in July. Unfortunately a hysterectomy followed her birth, but I see her as my miracle child. Had I not gotten pregnant when I did, who knows how long the cancer would have gone undiscovered.
I'm glad you opted to share your story with so many because information helps. I am constantly sharing my story with others so that people know it is possible and you can have a positive outcome.
I wish you and your family all the best through this journey - you will make it.
What a pleasure to meet you (even online). You're such an inspiration! I am also a mom, twin girls (8 months old); also an MBA graduate (NYU, Stern); and looking forward to a great future with my daughters and husband.
I do not have cancer, but I've lived my gramma's battle against it, and cannot imagine what it must have been like dealing with it while pregnant and with a small baby.
Thanks for sharing your story! I wish you all the best!
Sarah and Kevin,
I have finally been able to read your article this morning after it literally jumped out at me from the newspaper stand. You see, I am your little daughter's story and you are my mom's story. My mom struggled to get pregnant with children and was finally blessed with a second child in August 1979 with me. 2 months later, she was diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma. The doctors told her to abort the pregnancy, get into treatment, and focus on surviving. She would have none of that, despite being told that if I did survive the pregnancy, I'd be severely mentally and physically handicap. My mom fought hard even after having me only 2 months early (a little small but otherwise completely healthy, despite the doctor's predictions), endured the physical battles of chemo and radiation and the mental battle of not being with me or her other kids. Her words are very similar to yours. People told her she was crazy for delaying treatment and putting us at risk for not having a mom, but she couldn't say no to life.
I am happy to say that my mom beat the odds and got another 29 years of life out of her before cancer did take her a year ago today. Your daughter will go far in life thanks to your sacrifices, and she will be forever grateful for them. You have given the ultimate gift as a mother: your daughter's life. To heck with survival rates and percentages...they're meant to be beaten.
Many blessings to you and enjoy every moment with your little one.
Erin
My sister from Virginia forwarded your blog to me. I live in Minnesota and I can relate to everything you are going through.
I am an ovarian cancer survivor myself and I was diagnosed when I was 14 weeks pregnant in December 1989. I had 2 tumors, one on each ovary and both were malignant. Pathology tests were sent to the U of M and I still had cancer present in my body and I was Stage IIc.
I had chemotherapy while I was pregnant in my 5th, 6th and 7th months. My beautiful daughter was born early via c-section at a healthy 7lb 14 oz. She is now 19 yrs old. I smiled at all her growth and accomplishments and worried over every sniffle wondering what the chemo had done.
If you ever want to talk, let me know and I'd be more than open to it. I wish I had someone to talk to when I was going through it. Faith definitely makes it more bearable.
Chris
Dear Sarah,
Your story is amazing! I was just recently diagnosed with Stage 1C Grade 1 OvCA and I am still in the bargaining stage now. I have no children yet and I wish to have one of my own,...just one is enough and they can take out all the organs that they want! I was hesitant to start chemo but my husband and my parents advised me to go through this and just wait for my body to heal before having a baby. They want me to be there when the baby grows...So I will be undergoing chemo soon. Thanks Sarah. I will always be reading your posts.
Mary
Dear Sarah,
I have been following your blog since your story first appeared on Chicago tribune.
I'm touched by your strength, courage and persevernce. You are amazing and Natalie is adorable.
As an Asian I'm raised to believe in using food as medicine. I recently found out about this book, Anti Cancer-A new way of life, by David Servan-Schreiber, a dedicated scientist, doctor and above all a brain cancer survivor. Please get a copy of his book and try to adopt the lifestyle he recommends as mucdh as possible. This is NOT alternate medicine. You can also follow his blog at http://www.anticancerways.com/
My best wishes to you, little Natalie and Kevin.
Take Care.
Post a Comment