Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ratings

Why is Cancer always someone's sad story? I don't mean in real life, I mean on TV. I know it is strange to think, but some of my favorite shows aren't even fun to watch anymore, because everyone has cancer and it is in every episode....underlying sadness.

I watch Brothers & Sisters and the main character is diagnosed with Stage 3 Lymphoma. I watched as she got the news from her doctor, told her husband, told her family. I watched as her mother broke down more than once and wished it was her. The whole time I am watching, I am crying my eyes out. Reliving the same moments that I went through and wondering if my mother felt that way. Wondering if I put my family through the same anguish that I am watching on TV. There is always an underlying sadness associated with cancer; like death is hovering over ready to pounce. Of course, the main character won't die. She will get treatment and be okay, but I hardly ever see a show that CELEBRATES surviving cancer. That gives people HOPE. It is always the bad of cancer and never the good. It makes the little time that I get to watch TV during the week unenjoyable. I don't want to cry and relive my horrible moments in life because someone wants to increase their ratings.

Celebrate life. Celebrate surviving. Celebrate hope.


Because the more you celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.



Here is what I celebrate every day:











3 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Sarah, this Brothers and Sisters episode is just too heartbreaking:( I am watching it on Hulu and I'm just a wreck. Thank you for sharing this.

Mary said...

Your pictures are so beautiful. It gives me hope that someday I will have my own Natalie. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you are an inspiration to all! And Natalie is just the most darling little sweetie!! I am so happy that you CELEBRATE!!

YOU, Sarah, are REAL LIFE - not the TV shows......YOU are the happy outcome, the positive survivor, the HEROIN in all of this!! YOU are the one giving hope!!! Keep it up - YOU make a difference!!!!!!!!!

Love from Kansas!!